Friday, 8 May 2015

My labour and birth story

If you follow me on Twitter you would have seen countless pictures of my baby Joshua. I did a quick post on my blog a few weeks ago just to let everyone know about his safe arrival. 

Joshua George was born on April 2 weighing 6lbs, he was born three weeks early after I was induced for having high blood pressure.

I have had high blood pressure throughout my life and being pregnant made it even higher. I was prescribed betablockers during the last few weeks of pregnancy after high BP tests throughout. I was back and forth at the hospital for blood tests and blood pressure checks at least twice a week until I had reached 37 weeks of pregnancy. 

I went in for my appointment with my consultant at 9am on April 2 when he decided to induce me right there. No warning, early induction at 37 weeks had never been discussed, needless to say the nerves started kicking in.

After being taken into a private room a pessary like device was inserted down under to kick start labour, I was also given a sweep which was very uncomfortable. I was then taken up to a ward with other expectant mums and just had to wait for the magic to happen.

Luckily my husband was with me but seeing as we weren't expecting to be induced that day I didn't have anything with me, no overnight bag, food, baby supplies. I know, super organised!

Within a few hours I started getting period like cramps which worsened, I called for a midwife who told me there was no way the pains could be contractions as the pessary device would not have kicked in that fast. Oh, how wrong she was.

The midwife told me to take a bath, walk around and take some paracetamol. I did as I was told and started pacing the corridors of the maternity ward. I gave it another hour until the pain was unbearable. I called the midwife who proceeded to check me, I was already around 4cm dilated, put into a wheelchair and whisked down to labour ward. It was about mid afternoon by this point and my mum had arrived at the hospital.

The rest of the labour was a bit of a blur filled with a catalogue of niggles at the hospital. My waters had to be broken with a device which I can only describe as looking like a knitting needle. Yep, that one hurt. 

I had requested an epidural early on but by the time the anaesthetist made two attempts with two different size needles to get the epidural in but both failed, I could feel everything. The drip which was meant to feed into the needle in my back didn't work. In the end they took everything out because it wasn't going to help at this late stage as I was now 10cm dilated.

In the end I pushed baby out with gas and air which made me high as a kite, incredibly sick and waffle nonsense. Gas and air didn't take the pain away it just made me feel so spaced out for a split second I lost track of what was happening. Infact, gas and air made me feel like I had drunk far too much on a night out. 

I told the midwife I needed to push, she said I could "push through the pain" but it wouldn't actually do anything. Yeah right, five strong pushes later he was out, the birth was so quick she didn't have time to get her gloves on. 

Joshua was put on my chest for a few mins before being taken to be cleaned up. My husband got to cut the cord as well. I had two cannulas, one in each hand, because the first had failed, to give me fluids. I was given an injection in my thigh to deliver the placenta.

I tore naturally so had to have a few stitches which had to be taken out and redone (yep, let's not go there) but thankfully, four weeks on, they have healed. I gave birth just after 7pm, by now it was gone 10pm and after a shower I was wheeled upstairs to the maternity ward to spend the night. 

Mum and my husband were not allowed to stay once I was on the maternity ward, something which I feel the hospital needs to look at. After an exhausting few hours I was all of a sudden on my own, I needed my family with me rather than just having them turfed out so quickly. 

Luckily the midwives on the maternity ward night shift were brilliant with me and did Joshua's feeding and nappy changes. By 9am hubby was allowed to come back into the maternity ward which was lovely, great to see a friendly and familiar face. 

I was determined to go home that day, so after blood tests and blood pressure checks I was deemed well enough to go home while continuing to take the betablockers. 

Apart from feeling tired following the birth I wasn't doing too badly. I had a huge support network with friends and family coming by with food, treats and goodies for Joshua. 

The birth itself hurt, but actually it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was lucky the labour was quite fast. I heard some horror stories about first time mums being in labour for days before their babies arrived. 

My mum and husband were my rocks in the delivery room and I can't thank them enough for all their support.


  1. He is so adorable! I'm glad everything went ok :) x

  2. He is gorgeous! The midwives seem to have a habit of not believing people when they say they are in labour!
    I hate that partners can't stay overnight, that is why I was relieved that I never made it to hospital because it was what I was dreading most.

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life Wales

  3. Congratulations on your little one! So precious! I'm having sympathy pains reading about stitches this had to be taken out and re-done! Ouch!! :) My youngest will be 8 weeks tomorrow and it's all flying by so fast!


Be friendly and please share your thoughts, I love hearing your views......