Sunday 1 December 2013

180ft Abseil - Devon Dangle - Don't look down

What do you do for a job? I am a reporter for a local newspaper which gives me the chance to do some pretty amazing things. Abseiling 180ft down a sheer cliff face was one of them.







I took part in the Great Devon Dangle, which was a terrifying 180ft abseil down Berry Head cliffs in Hartland, North Devon. This was the most petrifying thing I have ever done. I had never abseiled before so had no clue what to expect.

It was the strangest feeling leaning back off a cliff with nothing but jagged rocks below. I also didn't feel very secure with the rope which was quite thin - but I was assured all would be find - and it was.

As I made my way down the cliff face my instructor shouted at me to try and enjoy it and take in the views. The surroundings were fantastic but to be honest I was just concentrating on getting to the bottom in one piece.

A small group of people completed the Great Devon Dangle and all money raised from it goes to North Devon Hospice - a charity which cares for people with life threatening illnesses.

I am pleased I finished the challenge - but my legs felt like jelly for days afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so awesome! in a terrifying way. Congrats on doing it :)

    ReplyDelete

Be friendly and please share your thoughts, I love hearing your views......